Friday, November 16, 2007

Daddy's First Business Trip


It is amazing how having children changes your perspective when you do things. Everyone told me that, but I guess I didn't quite have a grasp of how true it was...

Monday and Tuesday of this week, I had my first business trip since Jonathan was born. Normally, when I travel, I am looking for cool stuff to do, restaurants to eat at, watching for clues as to what's going on with my flight (all were on time this time...) and hoping for my elite upgrade (I got one out of 2 possible on this trip...)

This trip, I was still looking for the upgrade (wider seats with more legroom are always a plus) but as I walked through terminals and went through security checks etc., I found myself looking at things very differently.

For example: What types of strollers are people using when they go through the airport? Do they bring car seats on the plane or not? Does the airline gate check these things, or do we have to check them in? If I had Jonathan, where would I change him? If we are still breast feeding, how can we feed him and keep Cheryl covered up? What happens if Jonathan blows out his diaper while the "Fasten Seat Belt" sign is on? Would they make an emergency landing for a "Strange Smell in the passenger compartment?"

My #1 revelation from this trip: Detroit Metro Airport has great baby changing facilities in its bathrooms. Upon entry into the bathrooms (I checked by both A9 and A70 because I know that's where the Indianapolis flights ALWAYS depart from) there is a baby changing station right inside the door. It includes a big changing area, hooks for your diaper bag and a sink right next to the changing station. This is very important when your son is too much of a MAN for his puny little #2 diapers :) I should have taken a picture to illustrate. I mean the changing station... no one want to see pics of the blown out diapers...Maybe on my next trip I'll update the post. (It will be really funny for the other travellers to see me taking pictures of the changing station )

So once again, with all that said, it comes back to baby poo. Just like the other parents we know said it would.

No comments: