Saturday, September 15, 2012

Lessons I learn from running

I have always enjoyed running.  In junior high I joined the track team, I wasn't a star, but I enjoyed it and learned a lot about conditioning your body for running. In high school, during softball conditioning each spring, I was determined to keep up with the upperclassmen and tried to stay near the front of the pack on runs. But over the years, and two children later, I haven't kept up the habit as much as I would have liked.  But when I get a chance to run, I am reminded about why I like it and the lessons running teaches me.

For instance, I have learned that I don't really care for running (long) distances on a track: to me it's boring and I lose track of how many laps I've done. I would much rather run outside, going somewhere or in larger circles, than round and round a small inside track.  When I run outside there is beautiful scenery to look at, people to wave to, fresh air... and running outside usually means that the course is not flat.  There may be big hills or gentle slopes.  That's where the challenge comes.  In our neighborhood, I run a couple of loops, making a figure 8 - it starts out pretty flat. After first turn I get the ease of a slight downward slope on the next straightaway so sometimes I try to take advantage of gravity and make up some time on my run.  As I turn the next corner, I have a short uphill run, then the next long stretch is a slight upward slope.  As I finish that stretch, it levels out and I return to the downward sloping stretch.  Then another gradual uphill slope to my starting point.  When I get to this last hill, I start to notice fatigue. BUT, and here's the great part, I know once I get past it, I'm back to that flat stretch and I get some recovery time as I prepare to do it again.  After a few laps, as I get to the end of my run, that last hill always challenges me - I debate about just starting my cool down or kicking it up a notch and just getting it over with.  Usually, my track experience and competitive spirit win over and I "race" to the finish line.  I love the feeling pushing through the pain and finishing my goal.

That makes me think about how our lives go: some parts of life are "flat stretches" or even "downhill stretches" and pretty easy, or even fun to go faster and enjoy the ride. Sometimes, the "uphill" parts of life are harder - sometimes they are short and sometimes there is a stretch of "uphill" life that seems to go on. And sometimes there are those "hills" that make us want to quit trying.

I had been on what seemed to be a never ending uphill struggle.  Even though I had 2 wonderful, healthy children, I was still angry and sad about the 2 I never knew; I couldn't understand why we had to go through it; I was jealous of others that got pregnant so easily. And I felt bad for even having those feelings.  I was getting down on myself and it wasn't doing me or my family any good.  After months of blaming God and just going through the motions, half-heartedly trying to pray with the boys & go to Bible class (you know, staying in the habit), rarely paying too much attention to the sermons, I started hearing 1 or 2 points our minister made each Sunday - like he was saying them right to me.  Other things started to get my attention too. When I finally "went forward" one Sunday and just admitted that I didn't have it all together and I was tired of pretending, the burden I had been carrying was lifted. I had put my foot down on the lies that were filling my head and leaned on the promises of my Lord again.

God calls Satan the deceiver in Revelation.  Don't let him feed you lies   The Word was written "...so that in [Him] you may have peace.  In this world you will have trouble.  But take heart! I [Christ] have overcome the world." (John 16:33)  Knowing God, gives us peace.  Hebrews 12:1 says, "... let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us..." 

I want to have that runner's instinct to translate to my life - I want to keep pushing, even when things are difficult.  Life is going to be hard. But I don't want a boring life, like round and round a track.  I want the course He has planned for me, with it's hills and challenges, so I can enjoy and appreciate the flat stretches. 

He has something greater in store for us!

No comments: