Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Spiffy Entry

I was at Kohl's a few months back and saw this cute decor that I thought would be great in my entry way:
I don't remember exactly how much it was, but after poking around on Pintrest, I knew I could probably do it cheaper.  Here's how mine turned out:

You can't see the detail on the squares, but there is some texture, some color and it adds a great feeling to the entryway.  And my 3 squares cost me less than $3 (I don't remember exactly how much I paid for the scrapbook paper, but that's all that I bought).

I used cardboard that came in my mom's Creative Memories scrapbooks (Thanks Mom!) - each piece was 12"x12" and about 1/2" thick.  I cut them down to 8"x8".  I took my12x12 sheets of scrapbook paper and a little Modge podge to adhere them to the squares.  Once that dried, I folded them as nicely as I could and taped them down. Then I found a font in Microsoft Word that I liked, typed up the sayings, and printed them out on a piece of vellum paper that I already had in my stash.  I trimmed them and used fancy edge scissors to trim the corners. Using adhesive for vellum, I attached them to the squares.  To hang my decor, I saw a tip about using pop can tabs as hangers... so I got out my hot glue gun and stuck one on the back of each square.

I also liked the idea of dressing up the wall a bit more from a post I saw here. So thanks to my Daddy, a free piece of wood left in our house from the previous owners and $6 for 6 drawer knobs I bought at Lowe's, I now have some extra coat hooks in the entry too!


No comments: